Sunday, November 20, 2011

Family and Sundays....

I have once again commandeered Rob's blog. Oh how I enjoy telling him, "but I thought we shared everything...." and smiling.

Every so often we have the cousins (in town) over for a Sunday early dinner pitch-in. Kids only, no adults allowed. This week was Thanksgiving-themed. We got out the china, served turkey and dressing, green beans and pumpkin bread. Unfortunately, I have no good recipes or "how to" stories for cooking the turkey and stuffing, except to say, "Hire Rob." That's right, as a the dutiful wife, I have again outdone myself and delegated the difficult cooking to my husband. With that being said, it was quite delicious.

So, instead I thought I'd share an older recipe from a different Sunday afternoon. As anyone that has talked to me about cooking knows, I love the Cooking Light recipes. Here's a delicious soup:

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
  • 3/4 pound chicken breast tenders, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 cup crushed baked tortilla chips
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges

Preparation

  • Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and chicken; sauté 2 minutes. Add chile powder and cumin; stir well. Add water, salt, broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Top with tortilla chips and cilantro, and serve with lime wedges.
In the past I have served it with: a salad of romaine lettuce, pico de gallo, corn, black beans, taco-blend cheese and spicy ranch dressing.

No comments: