Sunday, November 27, 2011

Yummy Turkey Leftovers

If you are anything like me, you didn't cook a turkey this year-- you made your husband do it!

Reality aside, how often do we look for new ways to make turkey leftovers taste good during the holiday season? I found a great Turkey Pot Pie recipe that I wanted to share. And I don't even like pot pies! (I did make the pot pie, but yes, I did make Rob help with the crust!)

I got this recipe from the free Kraft recipes at Meijer. That's right, not only do I refuse to do the difficult cooking, I also am too cheap to buy a cookbook.

Here's the recipe:

3/4 c. skim milk
1/4 c. Miracle Whip/mayo
1 tbsp. flour
3 c. chopped, cooked turkey
1 pkg. frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 c. chopped onions
1 ready-to-use refrigerated pie crust (or have Rob make you one :) )

1. Thaw pie crust according to package directions. Heat oven to 400 deg.
2. Mix milk, dressing and flour in a large microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 2-3 minutes or until sauce is thickened, stirring after each minute. Add turkey, mixed vegetables, cheese and onions; toss to coat. Spoon into 9-inch pie plate.
3. Rob's Job: Place crust over filling; flute edge and seal to rim of pie plate. Leah's job: Cut several slits in crust to permit steam to escape.
4. Bake 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cover edges of crust with aluminum foil to prevent burning.

Tomorrow's meal:
Turkey Tortilla Soup from bhg.com













3 6-in corn tortillas cut into strips (I plan to use the crunchy tortilla strips for salads)
2 tbsp. cooking oil
1 c. salsa
28 oz. broth (I plan to use my turkey broth I made by boiling the turkey, etc.-- and yes, I did this, not Rob. :))
2 cups cooked, cubed turkey
1 can black beans
Optional: zucchini (gross--not me!), cilantro and sour cream

1. In a large skillet, cook tortilla strips in hot oil until crisp; remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
2. In a large saucepan combine salsa and broth; bring to boiling over medium-high heat. Add turkey, black beans and optional zucchini; heat through. Serve in bowls topped with tortilla strips, sour cream and cilantro. Makes 4 servings.

No comments: