Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Leaving Indiana (a post by Leah)

Growing up I never really thought I'd leave Indianapolis.  Some people are the adventurous types, always seeking to try something new.  I don't remember ever being that way.  I have loved growing up here, and always imagined living here.  After getting a wonderful teaching position at a great school and then marrying Rob, it seemed as though Indianapolis would always be a part of my life. And I suppose it will be.

But now, God has called us to this new adventure.  One that we never really hoped for or expected.  I have had a mix of emotions the past few weeks.  People continually ask if we are excited.  I know what they want to hear, they want to hear me say "yes".  But, in truth, I can't say it that simply.  I am excited for a wonderful job opportunity for Rob.  For him to grow in his profession and to show the world what a capable man I know him to be.  I am excited for the opportunity to become a better teacher in a new school district.  I am excited because God has been very clear that this is His plan for us.  But, I have a difficult time dwelling on the excitement so much of the time.  It's so hard to move away from this wonderful place.  It is where I met and married Rob.  It is where my family is.  It is where I really learned what it meant to be a teacher.  It is where I came to know the Lord.  And it is where there are so many people that are important to me. Family, friends and those friends who are more like family.

Last week, a few verses in Psalm 73 struck me as I read them.  How true they are.  And what a blessing it has been to say them as I struggle to let go of what I want, and embrace the plans that God has in store for us.  

"Whom have I in Heaven but You?  
And there is nothing on Earth I desire besides You.  
My flesh and my heart may fail, 
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.  

For behold, those who are far from You shall perish;
You put an end to those who are unfaithful to You.  
But for me, it is good to be near God;
I have made the Lord God my refuge,
that I may tell of all Your works."


So, as I rest in the Lord's strength, I choose to be excited about this new adventure! 


No comments: