Sunday, January 5, 2014

Happy New Year! (a post by Leah)

I know this is a few days late, but many friends and family have been asking, "How was your New Years?". What they really mean, of course, was "Did you have fun on New Year's Day?".  To that I say, kind of.  We spent the day, with snacks in hand, watching the Rose Parade and painting our house.  Yes, after nearly three months of living in our new home, we are still painting.

After this weekend, we are finally seeing most of the projects wrapping up.  We have unpacked every box inside the house (the garage is another story), replaced the carpets and countertops, installed new appliances, painted the kitchen, office, family room, hallway and downstairs bathroom, hung artworks, replaced outlets, replaced light fixtures, purchased new furniture for new rooms, repaired plumbing problems, installed vents, replaced vent covers and planted an herb garden (and this is why you buy a new home....) This weekend, we have finally finished painting, uncovered our furniture from the painting drop-cloths and hung curtains.  Now, it is beginning to feel like home.

As for the New Year, I am excited for what it holds.  The end of 2013 was rough, with the move and the expected loneliness of living so far from our family and our friends that are like family.  I have missed you all. But, as I was thinking about the new year, I thought about the verse in 2 Corinthians, about how we are a "new creation" in Christ.  So, I opened my Bible and read on.  In verse 18 it says "All of this is from God, who through Christ, reconciled us to himself...".  What a wonderful truth and reminder: we know that all things work together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.  Everything.  The hard times, the lonely times, the happy and joyful times.  It is all for our good.  It is all ordained by the God who loves me enough to send His Son to reconcile us to Himself.  So, I choose to be excited about the New Year and whatever God has in store for us.  For it will be good.  

To leave you all with a little something, I will share a few pictures of the new home (from my new camera--thanks Rob!), with many to follow in the next few weeks.  Enjoy!



No comments: