Monday, August 6, 2007

kinda like the Old Testament but not really

If you are a Bible reader you may know that in a few Old Testament books the writers will tell you part of the story. Then they go on, and then sometimes they come back and fill in some details. Well this blog might become a little bit like that. I added the “but not really” so that I wouldn’t feel completely sacrilegious in saying that, and because I forgot the correct writing term. Feel free to let me know if you remember what that’s called.

Anyway I thought I would let you know a little something that was going on at work right now. Work is going well and all is fine, so don’t get any wrong impressions. However, this week we are saying goodbye to our old CFO and hello to our new one. It is always interesting to see and hear how people are affect, effect or both with changes like this. I am still relatively new on the job, but I still have made a connection to her. She is a good worker, she is fun to talk to, and she has helped make my transition a little easier. Plus she is there late as I am often in the habit of doing (No Comments Mark). There are others at work though that are more attached to her and will find it more difficult to see her go.

In some sense we all would like to think that we are irreplaceable and that if we were to leave everything would cease to function. That everyone we left would beg and plead with us everyday to come back, and not stop until that became a reality. However, thankfully we know that is not true. If it were we would not get much accomplished, and some of us may never get started because there would be no voids for us to fill.

It may be hard to fill those voids and it may hurt to see someone go, but we want our friends and loved ones to succeed. We want them to be challenged, to grow, and to be happy. I think the big problem is we just don’t want that to be without us.

I thought a lot about other people I have known that have moved away or have passed away. Although I may not be able to lean on that individual in the same physical/ emotional/intellectual way as when he or she was still with me, I can still lean on what I have learned from him or her. I can be encouraged that my friend was with me for as long as he or she was. It has also been a reminder that not every friend or loved one moves beyond reach, and that I need to keep in touch with those I still can.

I have also been reminded what it is like to be the new guy. That can be equally as challenging, difficult and stressful. I am reminded to be as helpful as I can to him, and do my best to make him feel welcome.

Goodbye Brenda. We’ll miss you.

Hello Eric. We are glad to meet you, and look forward to getting to know you.

No comments: