Thursday, August 9, 2007

what’s up doc

Where was I on Tuesday and Wednesday? I am glad you asked. Tuesday was a crazy day at work, because we were preparing for an event on Wednesday. The event is called a Studio Preview Night. It’s a night when invite people, who have shown an interest in our product, to come into our studio to see what we offer and to get them excited about building one. By the way if you don’t know I work for a Home Builder, and that is what I mean when I say product. I’m going to try to get some pictures up here soon. Anyway there was a lot to do on Tuesday and some on Wednesday before the event as well.

(Sorry Kelly, I imagine that first paragraph was boring I’ll try to get onto some more interesting stuff.)

Tuesday night I went to one of the two churches I have been attending for the past few months. This church is much larger than Central. It is quite different. They have four services. They have a big stage with lights and props. They have a grand piano. They have drums! I enjoy it, but it is not Central. I go because they have a group for people 25 – 35 single and married. We do different things 3 or 4 Tuesday nights of the month. Sometimes we play volleyball, sometimes board games, some times we watch a movie or read something and talk about it, and sometimes we just hang out. It’s like youth group for young adults, and as you may have guess I like it.


This past Tuesday we watched an episode of House and discussed it. If you haven’t seen House, it’s about a team of diagnosticians. Those are people who have special skills to identify illnesses or disorders. In the episode there are two patients. The first patient is a man in prison on death row for killing 2 people. While in prison he has killed two more. Now he himself is dying and the doctors have to figure out why. The second patient is a woman who is changing jobs that comes in for a simple check up, but has a cough that won’t go away.

There are many issues that are brought to the surface during the episode including pride, jealousy, racism, and the value of human life just to name a few. The main conflicts in the episode are who should be treated first and whether or not the patients should be treated equally. One has been convicted of heinous crimes and the other is an every day citizen. One is already scheduled to die, but is dying too soon. The other should live a long life and is working on getting a new job to make that life better.

How would you solve the conflict? We discussed many things that night. Why do you do the things you do? Do you always do what you feel is right? Is it true to say you only do what you really want to do?

Stories and conversations like that can make you think about your own thought patterns and conditioned responses. I was reminded of how thankful I am to have the Bible and God's grace. There are so many times I am not sure what to do, but I can consult Him and His word and even if I mess up I still have His grace.

2 comments:

Kelly Lamonica said...

Not boring silly robbie... I love reading blogs... i wish i had more to talk about on mine... i should post something and see who really does read it... role call!

I wish Central had a bigger group of peeps our age! You are lucky!
Kelly

Anonymous said...

okay rob, just to let you know I'm checking your blog - keep writing.