Thursday, August 16, 2007

new places...

Although moving can be stressful and overwhelming at times, there are a lot of pluses to moving too. One of the best things about moving is trying out and investigating new places. One of my favorite new places is H2O Sushi.

I am cheating slightly in saying it is a new place, because I had been to H20 a few times before I moved here. However, I never had the sushi before I moved here. In fact I had never had sushi before I had it there.

http://www.h2osushibar.com/

I really like the place. It is truly one of my favorite places to go. It has a great atmosphere, wonderful staff, and delicious food. If I had not been willing to try it out, I wouldn’t have this great place to go. Sometimes a perceived view of something is not what it is at all.

At first I didn’t think that I would like sushi. In my mind, it had many strikes against it. 1.) In the past I have never really like fish or sea food of any kind, and have therefore shied away from dishes that included either. 2.) I tend to prefer items that are cooked. Most sushi is not cooked. 3.) Texture is a big thing for me when it comes to food. I am not big on cold and chewy. Not all sushi is cold or chewy.

I have taken baby steps in trying sushi. They have been really good to me at H20. They explain everything very well, and are not afraid of any questions. What the different kinds of fish are, the different cuts, the different rolls. They will even prepare them with just rice and veggies. They will even substitute soy paper for the seaweed that is normally used to wrap the rolls. It has also helped to go with a few friends. That way you can all order different things a try them all out. I still am playing it fairly safe on the sushi that I order, but I its baby steps right?

Part of what I like about sushi is that it artistic and beautiful. When I go with my friends we usually sit at the sushi bar. Sitting at the sushi bar you can watch the guys make the rolls. They may not say it, but it is an art. The way they slice the ingredients, the way they plate the rolls, and the embellishments of garnish or sauce. Many of the roll are almost to pretty to eat.

At H20 they also have delicious desserts. A wide variety of gourmet ice creams. Lemon Blueberry, Black Pepper, Basil, Bleu Cheese, Lemon Curd, Maple Chip, and White Chocolate Chip just to name a few all accompanied by a biscotti. Other great desserts like crème Brule, financier, and one of my favorites the oatmeal maple pecan cookie served with espresso whipped crème.

If I am making you hungry I guess you’ll just have to come, visit and I’ll make reservations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's the way we learn...baby steps

Anonymous said...

EEEEEWWWWWWWW!!!! :-( Guess I'm not as adventurous as you! How about we come visit and take you somewhere and eat cooked food!! :-)
KRIS